« Home | Disclaimer » | Sunlight Alone Will Not Make One Happy » | Green Roofs and Greece - What Athens Should Be Fam... » | Cyprus and MIT: New Research onthe Environment in ... » | Waste Management in Greece » | Mediterranean Environment and Human Error »

Margot Wallstrom on the Blogosphere - EU Politics on the Web

And we're back.....

Well. I'm back. It’s been a hectic week of work and projects, but things have progressed to a point where I can devote some more time for blogging. On that note, as I was surfing around the net in search of tid-bits of information to soothe my pallet, I came across an interesting entry by Margot Wallstrom that probes the little nuances of blogosphere world. This isn’t very new, I saw it a lot when I was in the US working for an organization (now gone under) which totally brought the largest health insurer to it’s knees… that is until their lawyers and army of lobbyists sued the pants off our political strategists and forced the organization to shut its doors.

I completely agree with all the points Ms. Wallstrom makes, however I think there is one things forgotten… propaganda. You see, the world of professional blogging, and yes, there is such a thing. (Clinton embarked on focusing it’s energies in 2004 and I’m sure it’s picked up steam since then), there is a message people are trying to send. Especially the political bloggers. They are the worst of the worst. And by worst I mean that they spend hours and hours researching politicians and stories, picking out points to use, and even (which was my favorite past-time) building a slow case against a particular organization or person. Not lies mind you, cold hard facts, with aggrevated opinions.

It’s a strategy game, and blog-rolls and new aggregators are the weapons of choice. Ultimately it comes down to fear. Some blogs try to hype it up, some try to play it down, some just really care and write whatever they think., with facts. At any rate. The main point is that blogging is real in the US, although I don’t think it’s really taken off in the United States of Europe as much, in fact I know it hasn’t. it is civil media at it’s most grassroots level, and coordinated right, it can really really scare the pants off of anyone who gets caught on the wrong side of it.\

One of the many uses of it, which I personally think should be pursued, is the deliberate and relentless pressure on politicians to respond to the wants of the people, and when big newspapers and media outlets all tell the same story, well...something's up.

Labels:

Hello Daniel!

I remember your work in the US. I am surprised to find you in Greece of all places, never been there myself. Working here in France now, I also agree that the blogosphere is not as down and dirty as it is back home, but so it goes.

The Europeans seem to be a bit more reserved on their use of the internet so far, but I think some of that might have to do with the enormity of the place. It's easier to talk to someone in California about politics from New York than it is for a Bulgarian and a Frenchman to shoot the daily ----. What I mean is that there is a significant language barrier and cultural barrier which we don't have to deal with in America as much.

What do you think?

Post a Comment